Thursday, February 19, 2009

Zola: Hero to zero ... now back

By Therese Owen

He arrived in our lives as the controversial Yizo Yizo's Papa Action, a gangster who was raped in jail.


He celebrated ghetto fabulous and revolutionised SA music when he mixed rap with kwaito and gave us Umlwembe.


He became the conscience of the youth when he hosted Zola 7.


He was a goodwill ambassador for Unicef and spearheaded an Oxfam campaign to ban small guns.


His music formed the backbone of the Oscar-winning film,Tstotsi.


For eight years Zola could do no wrong in our eyes …


However, in just eight months, Zola's fallen from grace.


In fact, very little has been written about the man except, crudely put, what he's been doing with his penis.


According to the tabloids, from not supporting his two daughters he had out of wedlock, to getting another girl pregnant, Zola has gone from hero to zero.


Yet, he remained quietly defensive when the tabloids repeatedly gunned for him. The latest talking point is the alleged claim that he is a polygamist.


"I'm a Zulu. I understand what polygamy is and I know the procedure it entails. There is no way in hell I would define myself as a polygamist. The Zulu king would fine me a good 40 cows for messing with the Zulu language.


"If anyone wants to question me about being a polygamist, direct those questions to the journalist in that tabloid.


"Zola, who's always been pragmatic about life in the spotlight, is now cynical about the media.


"Apparently I'm bi-polar, with no medical proof. I don't feed my babies, have no bank statements. I've been investigated by people I don't even know who will swear on the grave of Christ that these allegations are true.


"Doesn't journalism require homework and a personal meeting with your subject, not just hearsay? The proof is on the street and I'm there every day.


"Perhaps compounding his image in the media is that Zola has not released an album since 2005 and is still dining out on songs like Ghetto Fabulous as well as tracks from Bhambata.


Surely a musician is only as good as his last hit?


"The music industry is not just about dropping an album. We can supply music to films, adverts, TV shows. It's about my endorsement deals which make me revenue, not just the record sales . People must know the difference between a musician and a brand.


"My brand, Guluva Entertainment, includes film, ads, a clothing range, a television company, Zola 7, the music and the show. I'm in the business of public appearances and motivation, too. You cannot associate Zola with dropping songs alone. I'm obsessed with exploiting all my talents.


"So, for all those worried about my music career, I'm well ahead of the game. My music will come to me when my heart allows me, not when the system demands it and, for the love of real music, it's worth the wait.


"Zola says he has over 40 songs which he wants to release digitally. He then plays me a few tracks, including a pumping song featuring Brickz.


The man is upbeat and excited about his future sans Ghetto Ruff, his record company of eight years.


He has, instead, set up his own company on which he has recorded a few artists, but has yet to release them.


He becomes serious, adopting his Zola 7 TV guise: "To all up-and-coming artists, I learnt the hard way that this industry is not a hiding place for fools. It requires a lot of paper work and understanding the business.


"Know that the thrills of the industry, from women to cars to blowing lots of money, will harm you spiritually and physically.


"In reference to his former record company he says: "I shall never, ever allow anyone to create a virtual utopia for me because I am a superstar. I should have been smacked when I was wrong. Instead, I always had somebody to cover my debt. Hence I believed everything was perfect."He pauses to reflect:


"The worst thing to happen to a star is not to be told when you're wrong, especially if you're the producer's cash cow. But I've been lucky. I never lost my cars or houses, my TV show. In most cases musicians lose everything and start again.


"Leaving him alone in his Melville house, it seems Zola is still on track.


He's happy, carefree and confident. In fact, nothing much has changed in the eight years I have known him.


Except he's added a few baby mamas into his life. Now, if he would only release a single.


Story by: Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment